Friday, April 15, 2011

Dress to Impress

So yesterday I took a test today for a position with the City of El Paso. Something you need to know before I go on my rant, I'm very opinionated. I went to City Hall to take the test. I believe that no matter what, if it is for a job, you should dress professionally, just in case. Anyway, to get to the point, there were people who weren't dressed professionally and there were people who were dressed professionally. THEN...there were the people who were obviously trying to dress professionally, but missed the mark. They get a point for trying. Kudos for you. It just amazes me what people believe is dressing professionally. I'm sure that it is not completely their fault, maybe they just haven't been taught. Nobody was there to tell them what was professional and what wasn't.

If you are going to dress professionally, do it right. I have a few tips for people who may need some help in this area.
Girls:
1. If you are going to wear a skirt to an interview, make it a pencil skirt. If said skirt is higher than 1 to 2 inches of above your knees...don't wear it. You will look like a whore.
2. DO NOT under any circumstances wear heels that make you look like a hooker. I would say if it is a stiletto heel and more than 4 inches and has a platform more than an inch, would be a hooker heel. Refer to images below.


Anything that looks like these, not professional.

3. Slacks, a pencil, skirt, a button down shirt, a nice shirt, or a blazer are all acceptable. Although if the shirt accents your boobies too much...not a good shirt. NO JEANS!

Boys
1. The best outfit to wear to an interview would be, slacks, a button down shirt and a tie. Add a blazer if you want to try really hard.
2. A polo would be acceptable. Make sure there are no wrinkles. Also, make sure that it doesn't look like you borrowed it from your 10 year old brother or bought it in the boys department at Target. If you can't tuck it in to your pants, don't wear it. In fact...throw it away, don't ever wear it again, because it is too short for you!
3. Same as the girls, NO JEANS!

Those are my rules for dressing professionally. I'm sorry if I seem judgmental, I just feel that these are things people should know. Like I said, these people probably didn't have someone to tell them these things. I always say, dress for the job you want, not the job you have. If you are unemployed and you dress like it, then you will stay unemployed. Also, 9 times out of 10, if you go to an interview in jeans and your competition is dressed more professionally than you, I can guarantee that the competition will get the job.

It was really sad to me that there were people who weren't dressed professionally and they looked MUCH better and more put together than some of the people who were dressed "professionally".

No comments:

Post a Comment